Data Migration of Online Givers (DMOG)
from Elexio Deluxe to Elexio Giving
If migrating from Elexio Deluxe to Elexio Community, and you are using Elexio Deluxe online giving, event registration payments or forms payments, you will want to do this migration of usernames & passwords, saved payment methods and recurring giving schedules from Elexio Deluxe to Elexio Giving.
- This is a separate migration that is run by the Elexio Data Migration Team after you have completed the migration of all data from Elexio Deluxe to Elexio Community. It must be scheduled 5 business days ahead of time.
- The Data Migration of Online Givers (DMOG) includes:
2) Saved Payment Methods (However, they are available for FORM donations and payments and mobile app giving only. The stand-alone Giving Portal currently requires donors to re-enter card info one time for the "give now" function and for setting up new recurring schedules. Therefore, we recommend creating an Elexio Giving Form to use as your Online Giving "Portal" if you don't want givers to have to re-enter their #'s.)
3) Recurring Giving Schedules
- For who? It is more than just the scheduled givers. It is all "active" status individuals who have a portal account and have given a contributions or made a payment (for events or forms) in the past. For those who don't have giving schedules, it will still migrate their Username/Password and their Saved Payment Methods. If people gave or paid as a guest (without creating an account), their record will not be migrated.
- Why is this a big deal? Users will not have to re-create an account or re-enter their recurring giving schedules.
- Their Accounts (username and password) will be ready for them to login through the Elexio Giving portal. They do not have to re-create accounts
- Their giving schedules will be live and active in Elexio Giving. They will keep triggering on the exact same schedule, whether one-time, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly.
- Their saved payment methods (card #'s and or bank #’s) will be there (in Elexio Giving) and are available for form payments and mobile app giving. However, the Giving Portal currently requires donors to re-enter card info one time for the "give now" function and for setting up new recurring schedules. Therefore, we recommend creating an Elexio Giving Form to use as your Online Giving "Portal" if you don't want givers to have to re-enter their #'s.
- You will just change the link on your website to point to Elexio Giving instead of Deluxe Portal/Giving and add some text that says something like, "We had a system change on 9/12/17. The pages may look different, but you will use the same email address and password to log in."
- The schedules will be deleted from Deluxe during this process so people are not double charged. People will still be able to set up online giving through Deluxe until you turn off online giving in the Deluxe Database Options area, so you will want to turn that off immediately after sign-off of this data migration of Online Givers unless you have registration form you need to keep open for a season.
- The migration includes email address (username) and password as well as their address, phone number (default number or if no default is selected, the first phone number it finds), and their saved payment methods. Most churches have as many or more people who give online manually/periodically as they do people who give online with recurring schedules.
Back to Top
- You schedule it with the Data Migration Team at least 5 business days ahead of your target date.
- You complete the Pre-migration tasks 1 through 5 below, such as setting up your Giving account.
- You complete the Data Migration of all your data from Deluxe to Community (see sample launch week schedule)
- You complete Pre-migration tasks 6 and 7.
- Notify us that you have signed-off on the Data Migration and are ready for the Data Migration of Online Givers
- We run the Data Migration of Online Givers (as close to that date/time as possible)
- We notify you when it is complete and email you a spreadsheet with the details of who and what was migrated
- You review it and notify us of your sign-off
- You complete your post-migration tasks listed below.
Back to Top
Your required tasks:
Steps 1 through 5 can be done any time, but steps 6 and 7 should be completed only AFTER you sign off on the Final Data Migration from Deluxe to Community.
❑ As soon as you know your target date for the Final Data Migration and the DMOG, email the Data Migration Team via the Data Migration email thread at least 5 business days ahead of time to get it on schedule.
❑ 1. Make sure your Elexio Giving account has been fully activated (this means you can log in and no longer see the set up steps message - see example screenshot here). If you purchased after October 1, 2017, you should have received an email with your Elexio Giving account username and password and next steps for uploading a cancelled check, etc. If you purchased before October 1, 2017 and you don't have an Elexio Giving login yet, please fill out the form at the bottom of the elexio.com online giving signup page to get the ball rolling. It typically takes 2 to 4 days for your account to get verified and set up. There are multiple steps like uploading a copy of a canceled check, so keep checking your email.
❑ 2. Add fund names into Elexio Giving. Only add those that are being used for Deluxe online giving schedules or that you want people to use for online giving.
You don't need to add fund names that are inactive or that are just used internally. These fund names have to match exactly (including spacing and capitalization) in all 3 systems: Deluxe, Giving and Community. Copy and paste the fund names from Deluxe to Elexio Giving. Go to Elexio Giving > Organization > Fund Management to add the new fund names and copy/paste from Deluxe > Administration > Codes > Funds.
Elexio Giving starts you off with a default fund named General Budget. This fund name should be edited to match your default fund name such as General Fund or Tithes.
Deluxe funds should match a parent fund, not a sub-fund in Elexio Giving. Sub-funds can't be mapped to Community funds - only parent funds can be mapped and synced. Sub-funds are only used with Forms and on rare occasions they are used for giving funds that don't need the sub-fund names synced into Community.
If you are changing the fund name that you want displayed in the new Elexio Giving system, we recommend changing the fund name in Deluxe right before the migration. If the fund names don't match exactly, the migration will add a new fund name into Elexio Giving and use it for the Giving Schedules. Fund names can be changed in Giving, but that change does not replicate to the giving schedules, so you would have to manually change every one of them. The migration will only match (or create) fund names that have active giving schedules. it will not migrate any of your fund names that are not being used for schedules.
Certain characters are not allowed in Elexio Giving fund names. They are pipes and parenthesis – “|” and “()”. If you have these characters in your Deluxe fund names that are used for online giving schedules, change them in Deluxe and Giving before your Data Migration of Online Givers. If you do not change them, the migration changes pipes, "(" and ")" to "_".
❑ 3. Verify that your dropout (inactive) statuses are part of the Status Drop Out grouping. See Administration > Codes > Status. This will assure that you do not migrate past donors who are no longer active.
❑ 4. Run a Deluxe report of all your Scheduled Givers so you can review it now and so you can compare it to the schedules that are migrated into Elexio Giving later. Go to Deluxe > Reports > Giving & Finances > Scheduled Giving – FCR3306.0.
❑ 5. Check to make sure each person with a giving schedule has a full street address and an individual email address in Deluxe, not just a family email address. An individual email address is required in order to be migrated. And a street address is required for credit or debit card transactions. Everyone with a Deluxe Portal account should have an email address since it is the required Username. However, you will want to check your scheduled givers, especially if you set up a schedule for someone because they were not tech savvy or they didn't have an email address.
For scheduled givers with only a family email, copy their family email address to the individual with the schedule (you may have to delete it from the individual email address of another family member since individual email addresses need to be unique). If the person does not have an email address at all, you will want to give them a placeholder email address like this: PlaceholderEmailAddress1@[yourchurchname].example.com. Then change the number to 2, 3, and so on if you have multiple people. It does not have to be working email address/domain, just unique. You can delete these email addresses from Community if they get migrated there also, but they need to be left in Elexio Giving.
Steps 6, 7, and 8 should be completed only AFTER you sign off on the Final Data Migration from Deluxe to Community.
These steps are usually done the day before the scheduled DMOG (between your sign-off on the FDM and the running of the DMOG).
❑ 6. Set up Giving/Community Integration in Elexio Giving by going to Organization > ChMS Integration (Integration instructions). Basically, enter the first section of your Community URL, then click the Save Church Code button, then click Yes next to Clear Donor Envelopes When Enabling, then click Enable Elexio Community Integration.
❑ 7. On the integration page of Giving, map/link each fund that you will be using for online giving to the corresponding fund name in the Community list.
❑ 7a. Go to Elexio Giving > Organization > ChMS Integration. Click on the button that says, "Refresh Elexio Community Fund List to make sure it is the most current list.
❑ 7b. For each Elexio Giving fund,
1. Choose it from the Giving System Fund drop down list
2. Choose the same fund in the Elexio Community Fund drop down list.
3. Choose yes in the Default Fund drop down list for your default fund (usually the general fund) and choose no in the Default Fund drop down list for all other non-default funds.
You will end up with a list of all the Elexio Giving funds under the Fund Mappings heading on this page.
❑ 8. Notify the Data Migration team that you have completed all the tasks and are ready for the DMOG to be run on the confirmed date you've already scheduled with them.
Back to Top
- You notify us of your sign-off on the final Deluxe to Community migration.
- We will run the Data Migration of Online Givers
- We will notify you when it is complete and email you a spreadsheet with the names and emails of all who were migrated.
- This will help you be able to send an email to each type of donor with instructions on what to do.
- It will allow you to see the number of:
- People migrated
- People with recurring giving schedules
- People who were migrated, but do not have a password
- These are the people who signed into the Deluxe Portal with the Facebook or Google+ method, which didn’t create a password in Deluxe. Also people you may have manually set up with a giving schedule on the Elexio Deluxe Contributions tab.
- For the Facebook and Google+ users we suggest you email them to let them know that their accounts were migrated, but they need to click the “Forgot Password?” link the first time they go into the new Online Giving link.
Your required tasks:
❑ 1. Review the data in Giving. Make sure the Schedules are listed in Reports > Auto Donations and have the correct fund names (see screen shots here).
❑ 2. Test logging into Giving with your account and ask someone on staff who uses online giving to login as well.
❑ 3. Notify us of the results and your sign-off.
❑ 4. When ready, change your public website online giving link(s) to point to Elexio Giving instead of Deluxe Giving. Also communicate the new text to give number if you are using this method. To get the link in Elexio Giving, click on Organization in the upper right, then Settings, then Important Links and click View Integration Code. To set up text to give, go to Elexio Giving > Organization > Text Giving. You will choose your 10-digit text to give number from a list of available numbers in your area code.
❑ 5a. Disable online giving in the Deluxe Options area (go to Home > Options > Online Giving and Payments > Do not accept online donations or event payments) in case people have the portal bookmarked or use text to give and don't change the #.
❑ 5b. You can also disable the portal all together in Deluxe by going to Deluxe > Home > Options > Portal , then delete all the URL's and click Save.
❑ 5c. Email support to cancel your Deluxe FPS account so you are no longer billed the $20 monthly fee.
❑ 6. Communicate with the different types of donors according to their needs - Scheduled Givers; No-Password Givers; Other Existing Givers; and also potential new givers. This could be as simple as some text on the web page or an email saying the system has changed and will look different, but functions in a similar way.
❑ 7. You may have had donations process in Deluxe in between when you ran your final data export and when you shut off Deluxe Online Giving. Check this with a Deluxe contribution detail report. If so, you will need to manually enter these donations into Community using the Giving > Input Giving screen. If you have many contributions to enter, it could save you time to use a report to export them from Deluxe into a .csv file and then import them into Community (Giving > Import). For more details, see this video on Importing contributions into Community.
❑ 8. Check for duplicate donor names in Elexio Giving. The data migration of online givers checks for duplicates and tries to match schedules and saved payment methods with pre-existing accounts in Elexio Giving, but sometimes it creates a duplicate donor. Some reasons include if the existing donor does not have an email address or if the account was created before the final data migration from Deluxe to Community. If you find duplicates, you can merge them carefully using the Merge feature. Go to Elexio Giving > Donors > Merge (the Merge button is at the top of the screen). Make sure you merge into the new record that has the current Community ID in that person's Elexio Giving Envelope Number field. Records need an email address to be merged. If a record doesn't have an email, add one like email@example.com.
Back to Top
- Who and what is migrated?
- It will not migrate schedules or givers who have only one saved payment method which has expired.
- If a person has multiple saved payment methods, it will migrate only their saved payment methods that are not expired.
- It will migrate anyone (even if they are in the drop out status grouping) if they currently have a giving schedule set up.
- It does not migrate "all" portal accounts into Giving - only the accounts/users who have paid or given in the past.
- The migration will work just as well with Vanco or Authorize.net processing as long as it is set up to trigger through the Database, so it doesn’t need FPS data specifically.
- It does not migrate the giving history/transactions of the donors into Elexio Giving. The giving history was only migrated into Community from Deluxe during the final Deluxe to Community migration and will include online, cash and check transactions. Elexio Giving will allow donors with accounts to see only their online donations that are processed through Elexio Giving.
- The address field is limited to 52 characters. Any addresses longer than that will be truncated. This should not be an issue, since the Elexio Giving address is typically not used. All correspondence is done through Community.
- It works with split contribution schedules, but will create a separate schedule in Elexio Giving for each fund.
- Frequency details:
- One-time giving schedules migrate as Weekly frequency with a Start Date and an Installment of 1
- If someone has 2 monthly donation schedules or more, they will all be created individually in Giving, not as a twice a month schedule.
- Checking for duplicates:
- The migration checks to see if there is already an account set up in Giving with the same email address as Deluxe and if so, it does not migrate in the password from Deluxe because it assumes the user wants to use the newer one from Giving. It will then check for payment methods to bring over and if the same method is already in Giving, it will not duplicate it.
- Users who used Facebook or Google+ login exclusively do not have a password in Deluxe. They will be imported with a random password and will need to use Forgot Password to reset it. We will provide a list of these people to you so you can notify them.
- Differences between Deluxe Portal and Elexio Giving Portal:
- In Deluxe, heads of households and spouses were able to see all the donations for their household and it included cash or check donations. In Elexio Giving the person logged in will only see the online giving they (and not their spouse) have initiated and will not see cash or check donations unless they log into the mobile app or Community which shows all types of giving.
- Fund names can be changed in Giving, but that change does not replicate to the giving schedules, so if you want to change the name of the funds for the future of how they will appear on the online giving list when you make it live to the web, you will want to change the fund names in Deluxe.
- Make sure the fund names in Giving are accurate before having lots of people create new schedules. Changing fund names in Giving will not change the fund name in people’s giving schedules. You would have to change the fund in each schedule one at a time if needed. If you do make a change and don’t update schedules, they will still be processed, but it will be marked to the original fund name the schedule is set up with.
- If you used Campus, it will be migrated, however, you may choose not to use the campus feature in Giving. The system does have the capability to list different funds depending on a person's campus. You have to ask support to turn on the Campus feature in Elexio Giving. You can have a web link for each campus so when new people go to create their account, it will default to their campus' fund list.
Back to Top
What time of day are giving schedules processed?
The schedules will be processed in the morning as early as 3:00 AM which is when the servers start processing schedules. On busy days like the first of the month, to get through all our churches, it may take all morning. Since the migrations are run between 8:00 AM and noon Eastern Time (after 3:00 AM), the first day's scheduled giving is usually processed on the next day. Sometimes they make it into that first day's run, but usually not.
Can we do the Data Migration of Online Giving days or weeks after the Final Data Migration?
Our recommendation is that these two separate migrations happen close together. If they do not, it is important for you to plan for the transition leaving FPS available so there will not be an interruption in giving. You'll also want to plan for manually updating giving from Deluxe into Community for all donations that process after your final data migration.
I'm seeing new accounts in Elexio Giving being created without donations. Why is this?
Since Community is integrated with Giving and the Mobile app is tied into Community, it will create an account in giving as soon as people log into the mobile app. The Admins in Giving will be able to see a visible password that was randomly created - for example, "RTKBSDLG". If someone gives solely from the mobile app, it will stay that way. If someone, logs into the mobile app and then creates an account in Giving, it will match them up by email address and the password they create in their Giving set up process will replace the randomly assigned one. It will then be visible to the admins as "********". If 2 records are created for a donor because of this or because they use 2 different email addresses, there is a merge donors feature in Elexio Giving that can be used. Just make sure you keep the record that has the preferred email address/login and make sure the Envelope # field has the correct Community person ID.
Why are some donors not showing up in the Virtual Terminal section?
If you are not seeing the Virtual Terminal in your Organization menu, you need to switch to the $49 plan and ask support to turn it on. In order to show in the VT listing of donors, the donors must 1) have previous transactions and 2) have an email address on their profile (they do not necessarily need to have a last login date).
Back to Top