Overview Setup the API Application in FinancialsAccount Setup for the Sync Interface in ChMS User Setup for the Sync Interface in ChMSSync Contributions to Financials Sync Online Giving to Financials
The purpose of using the API Sync Integration in Financials is to allow you to export your contribution category/fund totals for a batch or a date range from ChMS to the General Ledger in Financials. The advantage of using batches is that the journal entry can match the bank deposit amount.
When you run the Sync from ChMS, the giving activity automatically exports to a Journal Entry in Financials – General Ledger. There are three types of journal entries. New contributions synced by batch or date will show GL journal detail description “Contribution Entries”, edits of previously synced contributions will show GL journal detail description “Contribution Edits”, and previously synced contributions that have been deleted will show GL journal detail description “Contribution Voids”.
If you are also integrating Online Giving: The two main options for journal entries are by date range or by daily deposit batches. The simplest method is to run a ChMS Giving Overview report that is filtered to include just online giving from a certain date range, then use the By Date Range option in the export. The more detailed, but time-consuming method is to create a batch for each weekday’s deposit. To do this, run the Deposit Report in the Online Giving system, copy the results, go into the ChMS Giving reports Batches tab, choose the Gear, click Create Batches from Online Giving, and paste that days transactions. Then you can use the Batch option to export each day’s batch. There is a separate document you can request with step by step instructions.
Note: Journals are created anytime an entry is opened to maintain an accurate audit trail of all activity and changes that should be reported in the General Ledger history.
The following steps are involved in getting integration set up.
1. Set up the API in Financials
2. Account setup for the sync integration in ChMS
3. User setup for the sync integration in ChMS
4. Sync contributions to Financials
Step 4 of this process is the implementation of the sync integration, where you export the giving batches from ChMS to the General Ledger as a journal entry.
The steps below describe how to setup the API in Financials.
1. From the Top menu, click the Applications option.
2. From the Home Dashboard menu, select Security Setup > Task Roles.
3. Click the Edit icon next to the API Applications task role listed.
4. Click on the Users tab.
5. Move any users to the Assigned User(s) selection box who will be posting Contributions from ChMS.
The steps below describe the account setup for the sync interface in ChMS.
1. Click the Settings icon on the Top menu and select the Giving tab.
2. Select the Financials Account Sync Settings link.
3. Click the Choose Account link under the Bank Account and select a Company and Fiscal Year, and then an account. (Both Asset and Liability accounts are listed.) You can select a different Company on each Fund you map.
4. Click the Choose Account link under the Income Account and select an account. (Both Income and Liability accounts are listed.)
5. When you are finished mapping all your funds, click the Save button.
The steps below describe the user setup for the sync interface in ChMS.
2. Select the Financials User Sync Settings link.
3. The users on the left are from Financials. Use the search box on the right side to pick the corresponding user from ChMS for the users that will be posting Contributions.
4. When you are finished mapping all the users you need, click the Save button.
The steps below describe how to sync contributions to Financials.
1. After you have entered contributions, select the Giving option from the Navigation menu and click Reports.
2. Click the Gear icon and select the Export to Elexio Financials option.
3. Choose to sync by Batch or by Date.
• Batch: Choose the batch and click Submit.
• Date: Enter the Start Date and End Date for the contributions you want to export and click Submit.
NOTE: Any edits or voids will be sent across also regardless of the date range specified.
4. Click the Submit button. A recap report appears with all the contributions, edits, and voids.
5. Enter the Journal Date and pick the Year and Period for each company, then click the Sync button. A journal is then posted to the General Ledger (Unposted Journals page) for each company. It can then be edited and posted.
NOTE: Once API sync integration is enabled, all existing contributions are flagged as synced to avoid duplicate GL journal activity. Only contributions that are entered after the API integration has been enabled can be synced to Financials.
Most common methods for churches accounting for online giving:
More detailed approach for reconciling exact online giving daily deposits if desired: