Higher Giving Migration...
...to Elexio Giving
Want to prevent your giving from taking a dip? Migrating from Higher Giving to Elexio Giving will help you avoid switching to another system that would require your givers to set up new giving schedules and new accounts with payment methods for periodic donations. The migration includes:
- Usernames & passwords
- Saved payment methods
- Recurring giving schedules
Elexio Giving also includes the below features at no additional cost:
- Text Giving
- Forms for event registration, payment, & other data gathering
- Robust Reporting
Elexio Giving provides access to Ministry One, our Mobile App that includes a Media Center, Online Giving, Event Registration, and more. (Note: If your church uses Elexio Community, our online church management system (ChMS) - also integrated with Elexio Giving) - we include MinistryOne at no additional cost!
- The migration is run by the Elexio Data Migration Team after you have completed a few pre-migration steps. It must be scheduled 5 business days ahead of time.
- What is Migrated?
The migration includes all donor records who have given within the last 2 years including:
- Username (email) and Password
- Demographic Information (address/phone, etc.)
- Saved Payment Methods
- Recurring Giving Schedules
- Is anything not migrated?
The migration does NOT include Higher Giving transaction history or reports on past history. After migration, only new donations & migrated recurring schedules will display. We do send you a spreadsheet of the current year giving history so you have it to reference if needed.
- Past transactions cannot be added manually. Should you like to display ALL giving history for your donors online, we suggest using Elexio Community ChMS in addition to Elexio Giving.
- Post Migration:
- We will turn off the Higher Giving system. This means you and your givers will no longer be able to log into Higher Giving.
- Any Higher Giving recurring donations will be ended (to ensure no one is double charged).
- For references purposes, we will provide you a report of Higher Giving history for 2018 to date, as well as a list of scheduled donors. Most churches have these recorded in their contribution management system already.
Back to Top
- You schedule it with the Data Migration Team at least 5 business days ahead of your target date
- You complete the Pre-migration tasks 1 through 4 below, such as setting up your Elexio Giving account and funds
- Notify us that you have completed these steps and are ready for the Data Migration of Online Givers
- We run the Data Migration of Online Givers on the scheduled date between 9:00 AM and noon Eastern Time
- We notify you when it is complete and email you a spreadsheet with the details of who and what was migrated
- You review it, test logging in as a donor, and notify us that all is working correctly, or if you have any questions.
- We turn off your Higher Giving account
- You complete your post-migration tasks listed below
Back to Top
Your required tasks:
❑ As soon as you know your target date for the migration, reply to the initial email you received from the Data Migration Team (from email@example.com) at least 5 business days ahead of time to get it on schedule.
❑ 1. Make sure your Elexio Giving account has been fully activated (this means you can log in and no longer see the set up steps message - see example screenshot here. Here are instructions should you need them). You should have received an email with your Elexio Giving account username and password and next steps for uploading a cancelled check, 403b non-profit documentation, etc. It typically takes 2 to 4 days for your account to get verified and set up. There are multiple steps, so keep checking your email throughout the process.
❑ 2. Add fund names into Elexio Giving. Only add those that are being used for online giving schedules or that you want people to use for online giving. If you are going to use the Text Giving feature (which does not have any additional cost besides the normal per transaction processing fees), add a keyword for each fund.
Go to Organization > Fund Management. You don't need to add fund names that are inactive or that are just used internally by your finance team. The fund names have to match exactly (including spacing and capitalization) in both Higher Giving and Elexio Giving. Therefore, copy and paste the fund names from Higher Giving (Setup Designations tab or from you online giving web page) to Elexio Giving.
Elexio Giving starts you off with a default fund named General Budget. This fund name should be edited to match your most common fund name such as General Fund or Tithes & Offerings.
If you are changing the fund name that you want displayed in the new Elexio Giving system, you will need to change the fund name for every schedule in Elexio Giving right after the migration. Fund names can be changed in Elexio Giving, but that change does not replicate to the giving schedules, so you would have to manually change every schedule. The migration will only match (or create) fund names that have active giving schedules. It will not migrate any of your fund names that are not being used for schedules.
Certain characters are not allowed in Elexio Giving fund names. They are pipes and parenthesis – “|” and “()”. If you have these characters in your Higher Giving fund names that are used for online giving schedules, change them in Higher Giving and Elexio Giving before your Migration. If you do not change them, the migration changes pipes, "(" and ")" to "_".
❑ 3. Set up your Elexio Giving form (also referred to as the giving Portal). Go to the Forms menu item, then click on the Give Now form. We recommend the following:
- On the Form Properties popup, General Info tab, change the Form Name from "Give Now" to "[church name] - Online Giving". There is no need for a logo to be added since we recommend that you embed this form onto your website's giving page.
- On the Theme tabs, adjust the colors to match your website if desired.
- On the Payment tab, check the boxes for Enable Member Portal, Enable Recurring Payments, Credit/Debit Cards, all card types, and ACH.
- On the Email tab, Customize the subject and body text if desired and change the From email address to a church email address that has your church's domain in it such as firstname.lastname@example.org (not CommunityChurch@gmail.com or yahoo.com). Use this format: Community Church <email@example.com>. Then click OK.
- Click on the gear to the right of where it says My Donation and has the Fund dropdown list. This allows you to configure the settings for the Fund Dropdown List. Make sure you check the box to "Display" all the funds that you want to be available. Click OK to save changes.
- Click on Save Changes at the bottom right, then click on Publish so your updates will be available online when you are ready to embed the giving form or use the direct link. (Instructions on embedding are in the post migration steps below.)
- For additional instructions and screenshots see our Portal Setup Instructions.
❑ 4. Notify the Data Migration team that you have completed all the tasks and are ready for the Higher Giving Migration to be run on the confirmed date you've already scheduled with them.
Optional Step: If you have purchased Elexio Community ChMS, follow these instructions to setup integration.
Back to Top
- You notify us that you have completed the above steps and are ready for the migration on the scheduled date.
- We will run the Migration on the scheduled date.
- We will notify you when it is complete and email you a spreadsheet with the names and emails of all who were migrated. It also identifies people with recurring giving schedules. We also send a spreadsheet of donation history from January 1, 2019 to date.
Your required tasks:
❑ 1. Review the data in Elexio Giving. Make sure the Schedules are listed in Reports > Auto Donations and have the correct fund names (see screen shots here).
❑ 2. Test logging into Elexio Giving with your account and ask someone (on staff) who uses online giving to login as well. Admins can log into two different places. To do Admin tasks you will log into elexiogiving.com. To do actual giving or form payments, you will log into the giving form. You can find the direct link on the Form Properties popup.
❑ 3. Notify us of the results and your sign-off.
❑ 4. When ready, change your public website online giving link(s) to point to Elexio Giving instead of Higher Giving.
Embedding is the recommended method so your givers have the confidence/security that they are still on your website. Go to the Form Properties popup, then copy and paste the Embed Code text into your giving web page. There is also a direct link that you can use to take people to a stand-alone giving portal page if that is your preference. This direct link can also be used in emails and other places.
Also communicate the new text to give number if you are using this method. To set up text giving, go to Elexio Giving > Organization > Text Giving. You will choose your 10-digit text to give number from a list of available numbers in your area code after you click "Click here to add a number".
❑ 5. Communicate with the different types of donors according to their needs - Scheduled Givers; Other Existing Givers; and also potential new givers. This could be as simple as some text on the web page or an email saying the system has changed and will look different, but functions in a similar way. We recommend using this transition as a way to encourage all of your people to give through recurring schedules and cast vision for how it can help grow their generosity and consistency. (See Creating a Culture of Generosity)
❑ 6. Check for duplicate donor names in Elexio Giving. The migration checks for duplicates and tries to match schedules and saved payment methods with pre-existing accounts in Elexio Giving, but sometimes it creates a duplicate donor. Some reasons include if the existing donor does not have an email address or if the Elexio Giving account was created for a person before the Higher Giving migration was run. If you find duplicates, you can merge them carefully using the Merge feature. Go to Elexio Giving > Donors > Merge (the Merge button is at the top of the screen). Records need an email address to be merged. If a record doesn't have an email address, add a temporary one like firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to Top
- Who and what is migrated?
- If a person has multiple saved payment methods, it will migrate only their saved payment methods that are not expired.
- It does not migrate "all" Higher Giving accounts into Giving - only the accounts/users who have given in the past 2 years.
- It does not migrate the giving history/transactions of the donors into Elexio Giving. Elexio Giving will allow donors with accounts to see only their online donations that are processed through Elexio Giving (future, not past).
- The address field is limited to 52 characters. Any addresses longer than that will be truncated.
- If you are using the Higher Giving feature of "Other" to allow people to choose their own designation, those giving schedules will be migrated with a fund name of "Other:" After the migration, you can leave these schedules as going to the Other: fund or if you want to change them, follow this process. You can change the name of the fund from Other: to something else or you can create other fund names or just use other existing fund names. Changing the fund name from Other: to something else does not change the fund name in any of the schedules. To change each of the migrated giving schedules to point to any fund name besides Other:, you will have to go to the Reports > Auto-donations list, then click on Edit next to each one, then change the fund name of each one.
- To "split" a contribution schedule into multiple funds, disable the existing recurring donation and setup a new recurring schedule in the Virtual Terminal.
- Frequency details:
- One-time giving schedules migrate as Weekly frequency with a Start Date and an Installment of "1".
- If someone has 2 monthly donation schedules or more, they will all be created individually in Giving, not as a twice a month schedule.
- Checking for duplicates: Users who don’t remember their password can use the "Forgot Password?" link to reset it.
- The migration checks to see if there is already an account set up in Giving with the same email address as Higher Giving and if so, it does not migrate in the password from Higher Giving because it assumes the user wants to use the newer one from Giving. It will then check for payment methods to bring over and if the same method is already in Giving, it will not duplicate it.
- Make sure the fund names in Giving are accurate before having lots of people create new schedules. Changing fund names in Giving will not change the fund name in people’s giving schedules. You would have to change the fund in each schedule one at a time if needed. If you do make a change and don’t update schedules, they will still be processed, but it will be marked to the original fund name the schedule is set up with.
Back to Top
What time of day are giving schedules processed?
The schedules will be processed in the morning beginning at 3:00 AM. (On busy days like the first of the month, to get through all our churches, it may take until late morning). Since the migrations are run between 8:00 AM and noon Eastern Time (after 3:00 AM), the first day's scheduled giving is usually processed on the next day. Sometimes they make it into that first day's run, but usually not.
Back to Top